Friday, June 14, 2013

My Big Fun Twirly Skirt.

Absolutely correctly named, this skirt twirls delightfully.  Other things I might call it are - flirty, sexy and most accurately, fun. 

It was fun to knit and it is fun - and very comfortable - to wear.  The three-tiered, twirly style especially suits summer time.  Think bare feet in sandals, bare legs, warm breezes, sunshine.  Twirly says it all.

 PatternTink's Twirly Skirt - a ravelry purchase


 Yarn:  5 main yarns used and other small amount of stash yarns.
All cottons.
The beige & white ragg - Bernat Handicrafter Cotton
The turquoise and white variegated - Bernat Handicrafter Cotton
The caramel - Super 10 Butterfly Cotton
The darker caramel -Country Cotton Cabled  by Elmore Pisgah Inc.
The off white - America's Best 100% Cotton Cabled by Elmore Pisgah Inc.
I changed from one colour to another randomly as the mood struck.


 Needles:  Tier one - at the waist - 3.75mm
Tier 2 - in the middle - 4mm
Tier 3 - at the bottom - 4.5mm

Modifications: None.  Well - none on purpose.  The yarns I chose, were selected for their colour and fibre content.  It turns out they were a bit heavier than the pattern suggested.  Mine run from Aran at 18 stitches over 4 inches to DK at 22 sts.  The pattern  suggests sport weight yarn knit to a gauge of 20sts.   Twirly though, is the type of garment where fit is much more important than gauge.  Yes it is possible to have one without the other.  I made an educated guess as to how many stitches to cast on to fit my waist comfortably, then knit according to pattern.   It worked out wonderfully - as you can see.

I did sew elastic at the waist instead of knitting an I Cord as the pattern suggested.  The look of a bow hanging over my belly does not please me plus I was not sure it would do the job of keeping the skirt where I wanted it throughout the day.  The elastic worked well as yesterday's trial wear proved.   

A great fun project.  Fun to knit (read - easy knitting and not too much time  from start to finish) and fun to wear.  I can envision an entire summer's wardrobe of Twirlys in various colours.  Nicki will be proud.



 

6 comments:

Vera said...

That is a very nice skirt. Very good job and it looks great on you.

Crazy Knitting Fool said...

Very cute!

Jan said...

What a fun flattering skirt!

Needles said...

Nailed it!

Yarn and Ivories said...

Fantastic! Looks great on you, and ready to celebrate summer!

Sel and Poivre said...

The addition of the blue (not green I note!) is brilliant! 'Really adds that summer feel! I bet you wear it and wear it!