Friday, May 21, 2010

The Queen's Birthday

Officially, Canada's summer starts this weekend - the Victoria Day Weekend.

Queen Victoria, bless her heart, knew how desperately Canadians needed a three day weekend after the long winter. Of course, she wasn't born in May but giving the people a long weekend is a good enough reason to change the Queen's date of birth to a warmer time of year. Royalty has the power to do these things and Canadians have been thankful ever since.

Affectionately, the weekend is known as the 'May 24'. Way back when, the '24' stood for the date given to officially represent the Queen's birthday. In our times though, the '24' has come to represent the 24 bottles in a case of beer -the park and patio drink of choice for many Canadians this weekend.

My 'May 24' starts today with a trip to Stratford. I'm meeting up with family, including my soon-to-be 90 year old Dad and his 'lady friend', for a picnic along the Avon and a matinee of Cole Porter's Kiss Me Kate.

It would have been great to be able to sling 'Sit Com Cardi' over my shoulders to ward off any chill. I tried. The great join has been passed. but I'm a long way from the cast off.
As is so often the case with my best-laid knitting plans, this special occasion will be finished long before the sweater.

Visiting, watching the play and knitting are how I intend to spend my weekend. However you spend your 'May 24', "Have a great one!"

7 comments:

Sandra said...

I'll be spending mine at the cottage, enjoying a beverage or two. Enjoy Stratford - i'ts one of my favourite places.

Laurie said...

Sounds like a great weekend! Mine will be fairly quiet. I have a rehearsal for a big concert Sunday afternoon but, other than that, nada... Romeo is heading up to Cleveland for a family event, so I'll probably whip up a pot of chili (he hates chili...) and happily knit.

Sel and Poivre said...

Its a beautiful day for a drive! Enjoy!

elizabeth said...

Sounds like a lovely weekend! We went through a spell where we watched a lot of old movies and I really enjoyed it. Didn't see that one, though!

Your cardi is looking great!

Stratfordfest said...

I hope you enjoy Kiss Me, Kate this weekend in Stratford. It sounds like you have a relaxing weekend in store, I wish I could say the same. Let us know what everyone thought of show once you've watched it.
Aaron Kropf
Social and Online Media Coordinator
Stratford Shakespeare Festival

Needles said...

Oh that sounds marvelous. You guys are having all the great weather this weekend.

Out west, it is cold and drizzly, and the wind? My heavens the wind.

I work today, but its a short day, and working at a yarn store is a wonderful thing on a cold and wet sort of day.

Zieknits said...

Happy Firecracker Day! (my childhood, pre-'Canada Day' name for Victoria Day)

Have a wonderful time! I'm hoping for Stratford pics. Now, where's the 'envious' button?