Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Rising From The Ashes

Having risen  from the ashes of my twice-defeated Contrasts, I think  Phoenix should be the name for my little  Crofter Cardi.   



Even while rising, it had a rip back.  But this 3rd,  no make that umpteenth reincarnation seems to be working.  I estimate I am about 25% finished.

The bottom band of  Phoenix is being worked at the same time as the sweater. 
 
I wanted the stripes in the ribbing to go vertically just as they do in the  sweater.  In order to do that, on this side-to-side knit,  they had to be knit right along with the body.  And to do that, I chose  a garter type rib.  It is not an automatic K2, P2.  Instead,  I work two rows so as to see two rows of knit stitches on the right side of the work.  Then I work two rows  so as to see two rows of purl stitches on the right side.  Sometimes that means, working purls to see knits and working knits  to see purls.  I know you get that.  Just don't try to explain it to a non- knitter.

I learned this trick when I knit Casual Classic, a top down cardi from Button Up Your Top Down. 
 
The  same 'trick' ribbing was used in that pattern on the button bands.  This meant they could be knit  at the same time as the sweater.  Great trick.

Phoenix is a lot of boring stockinet stitch.  Perfect for the machine.  Except, my machine can handle 150 stitches and Phoenix at it's widest has 203.  So hand knitting it is.  This sweater is certainly an attention seeker.


2 comments:

Sel and Poivre said...

I like the name Phoenix but I am think Tenacity might be even more apt!

Jan said...

What a great tip for the ribbing.