Friday, August 27, 2010

It's That Time Of Year

No - not the Christmas waltz time of year. Or even the 'back to school' time of year as the television ad suggests.

It's canning time. Today, I've done this.
7 jars of Dilled Beans, 4 jars of Pickled Beets

and Day 7 - first day of syrup - of the Nine Day Pickles
Shown here, in the only glass container I own large enough to hold the cukes and their syrup. -my punch bowl.

I love to can. This time of year, I long to be a Mennonite. One with a large family that required jars and jars and jars of home-canned food to get us through the winter. Instead, there is Fred and I. And so, I am a 'mini' canner.

Next week, Chili Sauce and Salsa.

6 comments:

Yarn and Ivories said...

Punch bowl!! You're a genius! I haven't used mine in years, and would hardly think of it as a container...
Say hello to your knit group from New Mexico!

Vera said...

I used to like canning too but not so much any more. I am now in the process of throwing lots of canned fruit from around 1994 in the compost. After that I shall give away a few dozen empty jars. I will be making tomato sauce though.

Joansie said...

I love the idea of a punch bowl to help you with your canning. I don't can anymore but I sure enjoyed it when I did.

freshisle said...

So yummy!

Laurie said...

My parents used to plant a big garden and can so much stuff... I've never gotten into it personally, though every year I threaten to. Your stuff looks delicious!

Needles said...

Scrumptious. Next year. I'm just waiting on next year.

I love making jams most of all.