Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Better Late Than Never - Hopefully

After posting yesterday, I read Knitting To Stay Sane's blog only to realize, I should have been publishing poetry on February 2. So in the spirit of 'better late than never', I give you
a poem my 'Papa' taught me. It was one, that as a child, I often heard him recite at family gatherings - to much fanfare I might add. And all this was way before any one knew that it was my destiny to become a Knitter.

John Knott
John Knott could not knit.
And so he invented a machine that could knit
And which Knott called the 'Knott Knitter'.

But Knott, could not knot the knots for the knitting
which Knott knit with the Knott Knitter
And so Knott invented another machine
Which could knot the knots for the knitting
Which Knott knit with the Knott Knitter,
And which Knott called the Knott Knotter For The Knott Knitter.

But Knott, while knitting knitting with the Knott Knitter,
Could not knot the knots for the knitting
Which Knott knit with the Knott Knitter
With The Knott Knotter For The Knott Knitter
Because Knott could not knot and knit at the same time.

And so, Knott had to hire someone
To knit the knitting with the Knott Knitter
While Knott knotted the knots for the knitter
Knitting the knitting with the Knott Knitter
With the Knott Knotter For The Knott Knitter

And one day,
While the knitter was knitting the knitting with the Knott Knitter
And Knott was knotting the knots for the knitter
Knitting the knitting with the Knott Knitter,
With the Knott Knotter For The Knott Knitter,
Knott turned to the knitter and said
"Wouldn't you like to be a Knott forever?
And the Knitter said
"Nyett"!


And another one that I think every knitter should know. Memorize it now! Because some day, some where, some one is sure to ask if perhaps that wasn't too much money to spend on yarn.

By Robert Frost
Never ask of money spent
Where the spender thinks it went.
For no one was ever meant
To remember or invent
What he did with every cent.

My sentiments exactly.

1 comment:

Sel and Poivre said...

I did knot realize yesterday was poetry day either and I do knot think there are better knitting poems anywhere the ones you cite! (My dad used to recite poems too - my favourite was Robert Service' "The Legend of Dan McGee"