Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Oh, The weather Outside Is Frightful ---



But by my stove, it's so delightful. And my house smells s-o-o-o-o good.


For the last 30 years or so, I have made mincemeat for Christmas. It is delicious, decadent. delectable! I always say I could 'eat myself sick' with too much taste testing, while cooking it.

It takes lots of these
and a bit of this.

The Listeria-free kind, I hope. The 50 minutes of boiling should destroy any nasties that might be living there.

It is easy to make and very impressive to guests. If you happen to make a pretty mean pastry to go with it, guests are doubly impressed.

Here is the recipe.
MINCEMEAT
5 Cups Apples -cored and chopped but NOT peeled
Juice and zest of one lemon
2 C White Sugar
1 1/3 Cups Suet
1/2 C Peel
1 C Dried Currants
1 C Seeded ( Lexia) Raisins
1/2 Tsp Nutmeg
1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
1/4 Tsp Cloves
1- 15 oz can Pitted Sour Cherries

Place all ingredients, except cherries, in large pot.

Boil gently for 30 minutes, stirring frequently.

Add Cherries and boil another 20 minutes, stirring frequently.

Let Cool. Store in refrigerator for up to two months. For longer storage, seal in Mason Jars.

Makes two pies, or 24 regular sized tarts or about 48 dainty little tarts.

Number One Son, Charlie, can't find Lexia Raisins in Hearst, so uses any raisins he has on hand. He says his Mincemeat is great too.

Enjoy.

1 comment:

Sel and Poivre said...

Oh I love your birch trees and will definitely try your recipe - its so kind of you to share! (I could eat Mincemeat three times a day!)